March 19, 2015

C&C in the Kitchen

I'm a far better baker than I am a cook. My +1 does at least 85% of the cooking in our house, which is pretty much every girl's dream, right? I remember before I met him that I had a long list of attributes I was looking for in a man, and cooking skills was one of them. My dear friend DP told me that my list was a bit lengthy and unrealistic, so I took cooking skills off. It was weeks later that I met my husband and within weeks he had prepared me a 4 course meal. I showed her. 

Anyway, on to today's post. On Monday my +1 was out of town and a friend came for dinner. I had lots of veggies I wanted to use, so I decided to make a soup. I put it all together without any sort of a recipe, which is a small miracle. 


And luckily it turned out so well that I decided to share my "recipe" with you. 

Bean, Farro and Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
- Olive oil
- 2 small diced onions
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3-4 chopped carrots
- 2 chopped red peppers
- 2 cans Cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can Garbonzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 large boxes of Chicken Stock
- 1 bag of Trader Joe's 10 minute faro
- 1 large bunch of Kale (or other greens) with stems removed 
- 3 bay leaves
- salt, pepper, and garlic salt
- oregano and rosemary

Directions
- In a large pot (I used a Le Creuset) heat  2-3 tablespoons Olive oil 
- Add onions and sauté until softened
- Add carrots and red peppers and stir in tomato paste, sauté for about 1 minute
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, oregano and rosemary
- Add beans and chicken stock, faro, bay leaves and kale
- Cover and simmer at low to medium heat. 
- It can stay on the stove on low for as long as necessary, and can be re-heated as well. You could also try this recipe in a slow cooker. 
- Season to taste when you serve

No comments:

Post a Comment