January 23, 2015

Keeping it Real

One of the things I enjoy most about having a blog is sharing information that our readers might not come across.

Let me introduce you to Z Girls, a powerhouse of programs, people, and resources
dedicated to empowering girls in sports. This organization was the idea of 10 Year US Ski Team Veteran and Olympian, Libby Ludlow.  Z Girls was born out of Libby’s passion for helping girls thrive in sports so that they’ll stay in sports, and is driven by her vision of a world where all girls operate from a place of zero limitations.

The Z Girls mission is to empower girls with confidence, courage, and community.



If you live in the Seattle area, be sure to check out the Z Girls Programs. If not, I highly suggest following Z Girls on Facebook or through their blog. Libby has written a number of blog posts that really made an impact on me. The first being this post on how confidence is different than self esteem.

This excerpt from the blog post created a real AHA moment for me.

"Katty Kay, co-author of The Confidence Code, explains that self-esteem is the value you see yourself having in the world, while confidence is related to action and is a belief that you can succeed at something. There IS a difference. And, of course, both are important."

You see. I am a confident person, but there have been many times in my life when I have lacked self-esteem. And never before reading this blog post had I ever recognized the difference. I have "The Confidence Code" on my "to read" list since I love a good self-help book.

Libby wrote another powerful blog post called "Letting Go of Should." Here is an excerpt from that post that I also highly suggest you read in its entirety.

If there's one thing I took away from those three years and thousands of dollars, it's this: Connect with what you genuinely desire. Or, as Watts says, connect with “what makes you itch.” Get rid of “should” and make room for the intelligence of your own intuition. Tap into passion and purpose. Believe that you have what it takes (because you do) and trust that, when you take the leap, it will work out.

I'm saving these blog posts, and someday when the Mini Fashionista is old enough and the time is appropriate, I will have her read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment