November 13, 2014

C & C in the Kitchen: Date Cookies

I love a good "health treat," as Dr. B calls them. He won't let me call them cookies because anything made without butter or chocolate doesn't qualify in his book. I beg to differ. Especially with this recipe for Date Cookies from Dietitian on a Mission.  


On Veterans Day I made a double batch - some for me and some to take to work. Before day's end I'd eaten five cookies. Yes, five. They were a big hit at work, and just as the recipe says, are worth freezing. I may like the frozen cookie even better - so don't think it will help in self control. Thanks Katie for the awesome recipe - these are definitely going to be a go-to in my "health treat" repertoire. 


Date Cookies 

Ingredients:
1.5 cups almond flour
1/4 cup Gluten-free flour blend
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 of a ripe banana, mashed
3 Tbsp honey or agave
1 egg (or flax egg made with 1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract 
1/4 cup slivered almonds or chopped pecans (I used pecans)
1/3 cup dates, chopped (into a mush)

Method:
Preheat oven to 350.

Stir the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. In a small separate bowl mix the mashed melted coconut oil, banana, honey, egg, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients.

Finish by stirring in the nuts and dates. Mix until combined.

Portion into 14 cookies and bake for about 12 minutes. Freeze what you don't want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment