August 25, 2014

C & C On the Move: Celebrating 2 Years of Wedded Bliss

Today Dr. B and I celebrate our second anniversary. I can't believe it has been two years since our wedding (and honeymoon) - aka the best party I've ever been to and the beginning of not just an amazing marriage, but the most fun I've had with one person. I'm so lucky that my husband makes me laugh and brings joy to my life every single day (I'm not saying it's always easy, but we've definitely got a good thing going). 


To celebrate we decided to take a quick little weekend getaway down south to the Inn at Willow Grove. The 40-acre private estate is just north of Charlottesville, VA at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's been open for four years and has received rave reviews from Southern Living, among others. And I've got to echo that sentiment with a strong ditto. 


There are 14 rooms and suites on the property, some in the main house and others in the form of cottages on the property. We stayed in the Loft on the third floor of the inn. It was beautifully appointed with frette linens and towels, l'occitane bath products, and a welcoming anniversary treat of prosecco and chocolate covered strawberries. The suite was a complimentary upgrade from another room, which was a nice treat and touch. 


Adding to the truly first-class experience, not only do they bring us a tray of tea and sweets to bid us goodnight, but in the morning, the day started out with French press coffee and warm beignets. Did I mention we were told at least 10 times happy anniversary?


One of the best things about a stay there is that you never have to leave the property. Their restaurant Vintage is wonderfully delicious - and, again, the service rises above and beyond. We were greeted by name and treated to complimentary glasses of prosecco, once again. I had an incredible shiitake mushroom soup, salmon, and finished the dinner off with a Virginia peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Thankfully I just had to roll myself up three flights of stairs to get in bed. 


The anniversary weekend ended in pure perfection with two of my favorite things - Dr. B and a nine mile hike up Old Rag Mountain. With all the rain on Saturday, the cloudy weather, and school starting today, it wasn't too busy (the top can sometimes look like the line waiting to summit Everest, or so I've heard). 


The views at the top were gorgeous, and I was glad to have Dr. B at my side to give me a boost here and there for all the bouldering. Yesterday's hike is a good metaphor for our relationship. Through ups and downs and the long hike that is life, there's no one I'd rather have by my side. We are truly a team. We can walk in silence or talk about any number of topics - from travel and sports to politics. I'm so thankful to call him my husband and best friend. Happy anniversary! If you're reading, I'm definitely re-upping your lease for at least another year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment